More From Advanced Style

Header_1.13

Header_1.13

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Style is Healing:The Style Crone Shares How Dressing Up and Blogging Helped Her Heal After Her Husband's Passing From Cancer

This past week I got together with Judith Boyd, the 69 year old blogger behind the inspiring and heartfelt Style Crone blog. I met Judith last year and was touched my her amazing story and wonderful style- I have been following her blog ever since.Judith's husband Nelson was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in 2005. In July of 20120 they started a style blog as means to creative collaboration and healing. I asked The Style Crone to share a few words about how blogging and dressing up have helped her through challenging times. You can read her inspiring words below and make sure to check out her blog HERE.


"Style Crone was launched in July of 2010 in the midst of living with my husband Nelson's rare form of cancer, which was diagnosed in 2005. Style Crone would not exist without his encouragement and support. Believing that style is healing, we began the blog together. Nelson was my photographer as I created outfits, frequently including pieces from my vintage collection and always a hat, as we faced his treatments, procedures and the progression of his disease. 'What To Wear To Chemo' became a regular series. Taking photos of my outfit in the exam room before the physician arrived provided distraction, a strategy to deal with anxiety and the active choice to thrive in the midst of intrusive treatments when so many things were outside of our control. 'Bloom Where You're Planted' was also an ongoing feature, with a photo of The SC in a favorite hat. It had become clear that our difficult journey included new and meaningful insights along with unpredictability and the awareness that every moment was precious.
Nelson transitioned in April of last year, and I blogged throughout the experience of his death. What began as a blog about outfits, aging and caregiving became a blog about outfits and grieving. Style Crone provided a lifeline as I described my experience of loss through style, painting on the blank canvas of my life. Processing my transformation through creativity became an exercise in mindfulness. I received support from a community of bloggers and readers, and found comfort in continuing the blog that was born in collaboration with my beloved life partner of 33 years, who was no longer physically present. As I approach the anniversary of Nelson's death and internalize his many gifts, I feel hopeful with a softening of sadness and vulnerability. I am aware that I am moving forward, knowing that the magic of our relationship will be with me always."

Judith Boyd
The Style Crone

25 comments:

Consider Me Lovely said...

The Style Crone is such a beautiful lady with a blog touches anyone who reads!

Julia said...

She is so fabulous and inspiring!

Rebecca said...

The Style Crone is such a wonderful, inspiring and healing blog that I was fortunate to find through the Advanced Style blog - so thank you Ari! Judith Boyd writes so beautifully about her facing the illness and later loss of her husband Nelson. Although I never had the privilege to meet Nelson, Judith made us all feel part of her family and we all came to love him.

Debra Rapoport said...

Her way to make a full and rich life no matter what, is so inspiring. We can all learn from Judith with her courage and creativity!! She is a joy to spend time with.
Warmly,
Debra

Susan G said...

Judith is truly an inspiring woman with style and grace.

Cosmee said...

Dear Ari, meine Frage ist: sind das nur reiche Frauen, die Du ablichtest? Das würde mich interessieren. Aus welcher Schicht stammen sie? Auf jeden Fall sind es fanstastische gestylte ältere Damen. Gruss von Cosmee

busana muslim said...

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..

Susan said...

I love Judith and Nelson and their blog. Her endurance and brightness throughout Nelson's illness is a lesson for all in what really matters and in what not to get silly about. Like the ladies on Advanced Style, Judith is a fashion and personal inspiration.

Susan Tiner said...

I love Judith and I love Judith's blog. The way she writes about style inspires me to seek beauty in every aspect of my life, including style. Judith is beautiful inside and out.

Lydia said...

This is an awesome story, and this lady is fabulous! I can't get over how amazing she looks.

Stephilius said...

So lovely. And so inspiring.

Lauren said...

What an inspiration to anyone who has suffered loss like that x

Terri said...

How fantastic Judith looks through your lense! Style Crone is one of my regular reads!

Lindsey said...

I can't wait to check out her blog. Thank you for sharing.

-Lindsey
Et tu, tutu?

puncturedbicycle said...

Judith is brilliant and beautiful.

Melanie said...

What a wonderful and enduring gift Nelson and Judith created with the blog Style Crone. Judith continues to be an inspiration for not only how to live with style but how to live with awareness.

Aprilia Love said...

I can't believe I only just stumbled across Advanced Style. One of my blogger friends told me about the blog after we discussed if we were going to continue blogging when we got older! After seeing how women of all ages can look just as beautiful and stylish as they did when they were younger - it's not even a question anymore!

I love the structure of Judith's hat - kudos to her for being able to pull a piece off like she does!

x Aprilia

www.aprilialove.com

The Style Crone said...

With my focus on loss I failed to state the importance, power and influence that Advanced Style provided as I launched Style Crone. Without Ari's inspirational and vibrant photos of gorgeous women of style, I wouldn't have had the courage to click on 'publish' for the first time!

Forest City Fashionista said...

Thank you Ari, for featuring Judith, who is one of my most inspiring blogger friends. Her style is extraordinary, but it is eclipsed by her ability to embrace all that life offers, both good and bad.

Wanda said...

What a lovely story! I will definitely check out her blog. I love her black and white outfit, also!

a little sewing said...

I love all of the beautiful women you feature, but the Style Crone is a special favorite. Gorgeous!

Bella Q said...

I first "discovered" Judith through this blog, Advanced Style and it is one of my favorite blog treasures. The Style Crone is such a beautiful thing, an inspiration- Judith and Nelson taught me the essence of honesty and dignity and how that contribute to style. Last year, I was stunned then moved by the honesty of their posts, sharing not just outfits but raw yet dignified displays of emotion in outfits posts titled with names like "What to Wear to in a Cancer Ward." When Nelson passed, and I read the posts that followed, my heart ached, it was as if I had known Nelson, and keenly felt the loss personally- both Nelson and Judith were souls of style I could really feel connected to. Judith is a true beauty, inside and out, and has taught me the meaning of grace and elegance. Sorry to ramble on so, but the Style Crone, or SC as she sometimes calls herself is one of my all time favorites, a treasure that I'm grateful to have discovered, and hope this post draws other people to her wonderful, soulful and stylish blog. -Bella Q
the Citizen Rosebud

Mrs. D said...

Judith is an amazing person, her inner strength just transpires through her blog.

Great to see her here too!

xx

Margarida said...

I love this one! This is pure style!!

White Sandals said...

This one is an awesome post with models so adorable. Love the way she handles the clothes and angles are very promising.

BlogCatalog

fashion Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Included in AnOther
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...